On August 10th 2013, Paranormal EXP conducted an investigation at Rancho Los Encinos Historic State Park in Southern California.
Situated in a residential area of Encino, Rancho Los Encinos is a historical public park protected by the state of California and is patrolled by park rangers. Its history dates back to the 1800’s. Originally a “rancheria” (meaning Indian village) known as “Siutcanga”, it was occupied by the Tongva people for several thousand years. The name of the “rancheria” comes from the original destination by the Portola expedition in 1769: “El Valle de Santa Catalina de Bononia de los Encinos”. Additionally, “Encino” is the Spanish word for oak since there was (and still is) an abundance of oak trees at the location.
Three Mission Indians named Ramon, Francisco and Roque, were given the 4,460-acre ranch in what would become known as Rancho Los Encinos. The property was later sold to Vicente de La Osa after Ramon left his wife and daughter in the gold rush. After the death of Francisco and Roque, the surviving widows were unable to maintain the property and sold it to Vincente de La Ossa.
He built the long adobe building that still stands at the historical park. He raised cattle and charged a premium price to gold miners. The cattle boom did not last, so he raised sheep and rented rooms to travelers. Vicente died in 1861 and left the property to his widow, Rita, who was pregnant with their 13th child. The family sold the property in 1869 to two Frenchmen, Eugene and Phillipe Garnier.
The Garniers were expert sheep raisers and exported wool to European markets. They built the stone-lined pond in the shape of a Spanish guitar, a two-story limestone building, and a stone structure on the northwest corner of the park which would become a blacksmith shop. Although they were not the final owners, they were probably the most influential when it comes to the layout of the property.
The buildings on the grounds were built in the 1800’s and were damaged most recently by the Northridge earthquake in 1994. Many of the buildings still have structural damage from that earthquake. The buildings also have many paranormal stories associated with each of them. There are four primary paranormal hot spots: The area adjacent to Ventura Boulevard as there are also buildings that have been built on Native American graves. The second location is the long Adobe building that contains many rooms that are currently adorned to look as they did throughout the eras of its many owners. The third is the Garnier house, which is the two-story building that now houses the visitor center and the park ranger’s office. The fourth is the blacksmith shop on the far end of the property where human bones were recently detected using ground penetrating radar. Currently, the bones still remain in the ground.